How to Outsource App Development in 2023?
Mobile app development outsourcing is the most cost-efficient strategy to reduce time to market and improve product quality.
Mobile App Development Outsourcing vs In-House in 2023
When it comes to mobile app development, there is always a question of the right tools and methods. Many brands struggle to figure out how to compare in-house initiatives against outsourcing their projects. And to be honest, there is no simple answer to this question.
One reason is that with the rapid evolution of mobile marketing and advertising, the number of agencies has skyrocketed, each claiming to provide the ultimate solution. This makes it extremely challenging to determine which agency or developer offers a solution that suits your specific business needs.
But there is a way to deal with this problem. We can simply analyze the benefits and drawbacks of each app development approach and understand the primary benchmarks to look for in our future services. So, let’s get started.
Benefits of Outsourcing App Development
Before deciding on the right app development approach, you should understand the benefits of outsourcing your projects. Here are some of the key advantages you can expect from outsourcing app development practices:
- Cost savings: outsourcing app development will significantly reduce your project’s expenses. You will not have to hire an in-house development team, nor have to provide the physical space, IT infrastructure, training materials, etc.
- Access to expertise: when you outsource mobile app development, you can have direct access to some of the most brilliant minds from all over the world, each with extensive experience in their fields.
- Faster time to market (TTM): TTM is the total length of time it takes to bring a product from conception to market availability. Faster TTM means higher chances of success in the market. And outsourcing is an excellent way to speed up your operations and bring together a team of specialized and experienced developers who can deliver projects within tight deadlines.
- More productivity: when you outsource iOS app development, you will notice a significant increase in your team productivity which is due to the focus on your business functionality. In other words, outsourcing allows you to monitor your progress more efficiently and make informed strategic decisions.
- Scalability and flexibility: another great advantage of outsourcing over an in-house team is the high level of scalability. Many businesses have a fluctuating workflow and having an in-house team restricts their ability to scale up or down according to project requirements. With an outsourcing company, you will always have this option open.
- Access to the latest technologies: last but not least, when you outsource mobile app development, you enjoy the latest trends and technologies in the industry. Well-established app development companies like TRIARE always incorporate cutting-edge technologies, tools, and frameworks into their projects to ensure customer satisfaction.
Now, from a comparative standpoint, the following table gives you a comprehensive overview of the pros and cons of each approach:
|Benchmark||Mobile App Development Outsourcing||In-House Development|
|Expertise and Skills||Access to a diverse community of brilliant experts with specialized skills||Limited to the skills and knowledge of the in-house team|
|Cost||Typically more cost-effective||Higher costs associated with hiring, training, and maintaining a team|
|Time to Market||Faster time to market with dedicated teams and streamlined processes||Development timelines depend on in-house resources and workloads|
|Scalability||Maximum flexibility to scale resources based on project needs||Limited scalability|
|Control and Communication||Requires effective communication and project management||Provides greater control and direct communication|
Mobile app development outsourcing offers you direct access to specialized skills, exceptional cost-effectiveness, and faster time to market. Wherever communication challenges may arise, with a handful of operational management resources you will be able to overcome the problem.
On the other hand, in-house development offers more monitoring and control capacities, but it comes with higher costs and limited scalability. At the end of the day, the right choice depends on your business objectives and priorities.
What Business Problems Will Mobile App Outsourcing Solve?
Mobile app outsourcing solves a number of business problems and offers various benefits. Here are some key business problems that mobile app outsourcing can help address:
- Lack of in-house expertise: outsourcing will provide your organization with a wide range of specialized app development skills to take care of every single phase of app development from designing to coding, testing, and deploying apps.
- Limited resources: most organizations struggle with resource limitations. Outsourcing will effectively solve this problem by leveraging the expertise and resources of external partners.
- Risk mitigation: perhaps the best thing about outsourced projects is their minimized risk. Outsourcing companies have extensive experience and tools and resources to offer high-quality services and products and eliminate chances of project failure.
One real-life case where a business problem was solved with mobile app outsourcing is the case of Starbucks, a well-known global coffee chain. The business problem Starbucks faced was the need to enhance the customer experience and streamline its ordering process to accommodate the growing number of customers using mobile devices. They wanted to offer a convenient solution for customers to order and pay for their drinks ahead of time, reducing wait times in stores.
To address this challenge, Starbucks outsourced the development of its mobile app to a specialized mobile app development company. As a result, the app revolutionized the way customers interacted with the brand, offering a seamless ordering experience, personalized rewards, and convenient payment options. The mobile app became a significant driver of customer engagement, and loyalty, and increased sales for Starbucks globally.
What Options Are There for Outsourcing Mobile App Development?
With the fast-paced growth of the application outsourcing segment worldwide, it’s no surprise that we’re witnessing a highly diversified market. Here are some of the options you have for Outsourcing Mobile App Development:
- Offshore outsourcing means hiring a third-party supplier or development team from a different country, often because the labor costs are lower in that country.
- Nearshore outsourcing means recruiting employees from a neighboring country.
- Onshore outsourcing is when you collaborate with a development team within the same country.
- Freelancing is often for services that are delivered based on a temporary contract or project.
You can also opt for managed services, entrusting the entire development process to an outsourcing provider, capable of offering a comprehensive solution. These solutions even include managerial and monitoring services that will save you a lot of time and effort.
Keep in mind that each option has its own pros and cons. They differ in many respects from costs to complexity, timeline, etc. Choosing the right solution is not an objective decision. So first, develop a general plan of action for the project and make sure your outsourcing partner has the time, experience, and resources to meet your expectations.
How to Outsource App Development in 5 Steps
Once you decide to outsource your project, there are a few steps you should follow. Keep in mind that the nature of the project rarely has any effect at this stage. So whether you want to outsource iOS app development or find a company specializing in Android programs, this brief guide will help you figure out how to outsource app development.
#1 Define Your Project Requirements
The first step in every project is understanding of how you see the end product. For starters, define the purpose of the app, its primary features and functionalities, and the platform (iOS, Android, etc.) for which it should be designed. It would also help if you can define your target audience, their technical skills, and expected patterns of behavior.
#2 Research Your Candidates!
Next, you need a reliable outsourcing partner. Whether you want to work with a company, a single freelancer, or a group of developers, it is essential to carefully examine their portfolios, look for relevant experience, and check out their reviews or references. Ideally, you want an outsourcing partner that can prove their ability to meet your project requirements.
Don’t forget to check out our portfolio and what we’ve done for our partners. This is a perfect way to understand what a successful and dedicated outsourcing company looks like!
#3 Request Proposals and Evaluate
Once you narrowed the list of candidates, draft a sample of your project outline and ask them for detailed proposals. Make sure the proposals clarify cost estimates, project timelines, development methodologies, team composition, and any other relevant information that might be important for you in the future.
Evaluate proposals comparatively and choose the company that meets your criteria.
#4 Ensure Effective Collaboration
Indeed, outsourcing projects sometimes suffer from a lack of communication. But this is a problem you can easily avoid by establishing an effective communication channel with your partners and setting up weekly or monthly review meetings to make sure everything is on the right track.
#5 Keep Monitoring the Project
Outsourcing does not eliminate your monitoring responsibility. You still need to put someone in charge of overseeing the project’s progress and actively providing feedback and clarifications to ensure that the end product is precisely what you need.
How to Reduce Risks of Mobile App Development Outsourcing?
It’s not enough to know how to outsource app development. You must also be prepared to meet the challenges in your collaborative projects and reduce the potential risks of outsourcing. Here are a few tips to improve your organizational resilience.
- Conduct thorough research before choosing a partner. This is the most important part of your outsourcing project.
- Define your expectations clearly and make sure your outsourcing partner understands your objectives.
- Craft a detailed contract that clarifies your mutual responsibilities as well as timelines and other important information.
- Maintain an effective, professional, and clear line of communication. Regularly monitor progress and conduct quality checks.
- Have contingency plans in place. Accidents happen!
Examples of Cost Optimization When Outsourcing the Development and Maintenance of the Application
For many business owners, the cost of app development is a huge problem. That’s where outsourcing can offer a budget-friendly, cost-efficient solution. Firstly, partnering with an outsourcing company will give you access to experts from various countries or regions with lower labor costs.
Secondly, you don’t have to provide expensive infrastructure or pay for overheads, office equipment, etc. Thirdly, outsourcing will speed up your progress which means you will have the same high-end results in a shorter time frame.
And finally, you will enjoy maximum flexibility. Outsourcing partners can offer you a team of experts based on your business objectives and project requirements which means you only have to spend for what is needed to get the job done.
How Much Does It Cost to Outsource Mobile App Development?
Many of you might be wondering about the cost of app development in outsourced projects. It’s impossible to give a precise number as numerous factors impact the project’s costs. But to give an estimation, outsourcing mobile app development can cost anywhere between a few thousand to hundreds of thousands of dollars.
The first factor that impacts the pricing is the company you work with. Also, there can be a wide range of app features and complexities within a project that will significantly increase the time and expertise required to get them done. This will also impact your plan’s costs.
In any case, you should always request an estimated figure from your outsourcing partner according to the accurate information you provide them about the project’s goals. Any added cost should be discussed and ideally, be predicted in the contract.
Outsource Mobile App Development to TRIARE
Now you have a good idea of the benefits of mobile app development outsourcing vs in-house projects. There is no doubt that no outsourced app development process is without challenges. However, with the right skill sets and relevant expertise, you will have everything you need for success.
That’s why outsourcing app development has become such a popular solution across all markets and industries. Over the years, our team at TRIARE has helped many companies in healthcare, real estate, retail, education, and other sectors to design, develop, and modernize their web and mobile applications.
Thanks to years of experience, cutting-edge technologies, and our vibrant team, we can take over your app development projects from start to finish at a reasonable price. Do, not hesitate to contact us as our experts are ready to answer any questions.
There you go, folks! This should’ve cleared up all your questions and concerns about mobile app development outsourcing. If you enjoyed this article, make sure to regularly check out our blog. We have tons of insightful articles about Mobile and Web Development, Software Testing, and more.